Continuous autonomous multi-level tiering integrating flash and disk in a single storage pool
Tier-X is a patent-pending active storage tiering technology integrating high performance Solid State Drives (SSDs) and cost-effective disks to form a single, hybrid, multi-tier storage pool. Data is deduped and compressed in memory on ingest to store only unique blocks to RAM, SSDs, and disks. Tier-X provides consistent low latency for both reads and writes from or to any storage tier.
As data centers and application servers become consolidated and virtualized, the required performance from enterprise storage systems has increased sharply. While the introduction of flash storage promised much higher performance, the cost premium over high-capacity disks demanded a combination of flash and disk to ensure affordable enterprise storage.
But vendors either avoided magnetic media altogether, focusing only on high-end, low-capacity use cases, or added a limited flash-based cache, with marginal gain in system performance and no gain in capacity since cached data means duplicated data - one copy in flash and one on disk.
The Solution: Continuous Tiering
Tier-X provides the cost benefits of tiering and the performance benefits of caching. Fine-grained, continuous and autonomous tiering of optimized data ensures that the system is reactive to the changing needs of applications. Multi-tier capability and media awareness ensures that the technology stays relevant as new media types become available in the future.
An enterprise storage system has dual purpose: Store data for long periods of time and serve it to the applications with low latency and high throughput. While the introduction of flash storage promised much higher performance, there is a cost premium over high-capacity disk drives. This trend is going to continue in the future as newer, faster and more expensive media types are being introduced.
Until now, vendors either offers systems solely built from a single-flash device type, focusing on high-end, low-capacity use cases, or systems with a limited flash-based cache that only offers marginal gain in system performance and no gain in capacity at all since cached data means duplicated data - one copy in flash and one on disk.
Tier-X is an active primary storage tiering technology integrating different types of storage media to create high-performance and cost-effective single, multi-tier storage pool. Data is deduplicated and compressed in-memory on ingest to store only unique blocks to memory and different media types used. Tier-X provides consistent low latency for both reads and writes from or to any storage tier.
Features and Benefits:
- Reactive to changing workloads in real-time
- Optimized for different media types for improved performance and durability
- Fully-automated, period - no configuration, no policies, no schedules
- Fine-grain tiering of deduped and compressed data
- Adapts to changing workloads in real-time
- Offers maximum capacity - all media used to store data (no caching)
- Optimized for each media type to improve performance and durability
- Fully-automated, requiring no configuration, no policies, and no schedules
- Provides fine-grain tiering of deduped and compressed data
How It Works:
All incoming writes are deduped, compressed and stored in battery-backed cache, and immediately destaged to the SSD tier configured with enough capacity to hold the entire active working set of enterprise customers - typically more than 10TB - and even more. Effectively operating similar to all-flash arrays, Tier-X enables high performance and low latency for both reads and writes.
When the SSD tier becomes full, a background process relocates the least accessed blocks to the HDD tier. Writes are coalesced using an algorithm that considers the unique characteristics of the media to provide optimal read latency thereafter.
Flash Architecture with 24/7 Adaptive Continuous Tiering
Tier-X offers flash performance that is suitable for all applications and use cases. The active parts of the data are stored on flash, and the rest on cost-effective media. No more compromise between capacity and performance.
Why Tier-X is Different:
- Flash performance at disk pricing - Reduxio is the first storage system, legacy or hybrid, which supports in-line in-memory dedup and compression with spinning media. This provides the best possible reduction in physical capacity and most optimal storage on the media - active data set on SSD, and long-term high-capacity on HDD.
- Flash-First architecture - Instead of storing data first on slow media, and only then relocating or caching it to flah in large chunks, Tier-X stores all incoming IO to flash media, thus accelerating write IOPS while reducing write latency, just like all-flash arrays. In addition, a high read performance is achieved by having a flash tier much larger than the active data set of typical enterprise customers.
- Optimized for enterprise workloads - Smart algorithms coalesce data as it is relocated between the tiers to adapt to specific media characteristics and provide for most efficient retrieval therafter. This improves the performance of highly random workloads that would otherwise require all-flash arrays.
- Continuous - Tier-X is active at all times and dynamically and instantaneously adapts to changing workload conditions.
- Autonomous - Tiering is fully automated and has no configuration.
- Immediately reacts to constantly changing workloads - Data location and layout on disk dynamically changes according to actual usage patterns to gain maximum performance in future access.
- Fine grained - Operating at the block level, Tier-X relocates only the necessary data for optimal efficiency and performance.
- Integrated with NoDup - Data is written to SSDs and disk drives only after dedup and compression. This dramatically reduces the amount of data written to each tier, which in turn reduces the amount of data relocated between tiers. Tier-X adaptive tiering technology leverages this fact to provide high performance even for random workloads.
- Increased Media Lifetime - Reduxio's Tier-X tiering adapts to the media attributes - data is written in the most optimal patterns - minimizing SSDs program/erase cycles, and hard disk drive head movements, both major factors to long-term media reliability.
Download the Reduxio Tier-X Datasheet (.PDF)